Mango-Chile Ice for Dessert!

Mangoes are a great accompaniment to Mexican food.  They are native to southern Asia but are grown in many tropical regions.  They are cool, refreshing and packed with vitamins and an enzyme that acts as a digestive aid....no wonder they are a great accompaniment to hot and spicy Mexican dishes!

The first time I had a mango was when I had a fruit platter for breakfast during a summer-long study program in India.  I thought they were amazing so when I walked through the market area I bought one.  I had no idea that eating a mango could be such a challenge!  The mango was definitely not a fruit to eat as one would an apple!  The core presents quite a challenge but don't be intimidated by them!  Once you learn how to cut a mango you will experience a little bit of heaven with each bite!

"&g

I sure wish I had known about a mango splitter!!

I enjoyed the Mango-Chile Ice but I did make a couple of changes.  I cheated and bought bags of frozen mango to equal about 7 1/2 cups.  I also would recommend using an ice cream maker if you have one.  I did not use mine and about the third time of taking this out of the freezer to run it through the food processor, I was wishing I had used it.  Again, I cheated and did not do the last round through the processor.  The consistency was fine so I didn't see the need.  I also saw that two hours in the freezer was "beyond slushy", check in at 1 1/2 hours.


Mango-Chile Ice
Bon Appetit, May 2011

6 large mangoes (about 5 1/2 lb) halved, pitted, peeled, diced (about 7 1/2 cups)
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp ancho chile powder plus more (optional)

Set a strainer in a 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish.  Combine half of all ingredients with 5 Tbsp water in a processor and puree until smooth.  Strain mango mixture into dish. Puree the remaining ingredients with 5 Tbsp. water and strain mango mixture into dish.  Freeze until mixture is slushy, about 2 hours.  Working in 2 batches, puree in processor again.  Return mango ice to same dish.  Freeze 2 hours.  Repeat 2 more times.

Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Scoop into dishes, sprinkle with chile powder, if desired, and serve.

Do Ahead:  Can be made 2 days ahead.  Cover and keep frozen.

I had the chile powder available for those who wanted to try a sprinkle or two.  I also served brownies with the ice.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

The mango ice was a great way to end the meal.  It was a fun evening.  
The Bon Appetit menu was a hit and worthy of repeating!!

I am participating in Make a Foodie Friend Monday at The Saturday Evening Pot.

Comments

Popular Posts