General Tso's Chicken

Recently, the Kitchen Gnome told me that he found a recipe while he was doing his daily review of the blogs that I/we follow.  He told me it was General Tso's Chicken and that he wanted to make it.  I had never heard of General Tso's Chicken. It had been posted by Lori at All That Splatters.

Like Lori, I did a little research and didn't come up with much in regard to the dish's origin.  The dish is not known in China.  It is mostly served in American and Canadian Chinese restaurants.  It is "a lightly battered chicken in a chili-laced, sweet-sour sauce," per Fuchsia Dunlop in Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. One can say that it partially originates from Hunan cuisine.  Partially because the Hunan do not care for sweet and savory dishes...so, a combination of Hunan and Szechaun cuisines.

Whatever the origin, the dish is delicious!!  Thank you, Lori for introducing us to this wonderful main course!  We made pineapple rice to accompany the dish.  What a great combination of flavors!




General Tso’s Chicken
Yield:  4-6 servings

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (I followed Lori's lead and grated using a Microplane.)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 large egg whites
1-1/2 cups cornstarch
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Vegetable oil for frying

Garnish:  2 green onions, green parts thinly sliced



To make the sauce, whisk together the hoisin sauce, white vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and water in a bowl. Set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the hoisin mixture. Stir until the sauce is dark brown and has thickened. Remove from heat and cover.

Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks. Whisk the egg whites in a shallow dish until foamy. Thoroughly combine cornstarch, flour, and baking soda in a separate shallow dish. Toss half the chicken into the foamy egg whites until well-coated, and then dredge the chicken in the cornstarch mixture, making certain that all sides are coated. Transfer the chicken to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.

Heat oil in a fryer (or Dutch oven, or a large wok) until it registers 325ºF. Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through cooking. Transfer cooked chicken to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.

Re-warm the sauce over medium heat until bubbling. Add the chicken pieces tossing to coat. Garnish with sliced green onions.



This was easy to make.  We had fun working in the kitchen together to prepare a tasty meal!  
I am participating in Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum.  Thank you Michael.  
I am sharing at Everyday Sisters today for Sharing Sundays.

Comments

  1. The photo is truly making my mouth water. I made Cook's Illustrated's version of this a couple years ago. I dropped the whole darn tray of them, can you believe it? What little I salvaged was good, though it's a bit of work. You've inspired me to give this a go again. Nice job, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great and I have everything I need to try it-yay:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has always been one of our favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. General Tso's without going to a restaurant. dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,Kate. This used to me my Mother's favorite take out food. I love it too and will definitely be making it. Your pictures are beautiful as usual. Have you shared the recipe for pineapple rice? Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love General Tso's chicken, but I have never tried to make it. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great, will give it a go next time I am camping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love this dish Susan ~ I first tried Monique's recipe--it is delicious, and when I saw Lori's recipe I knew I wanted to try her version as well. Yum!

    As always, your photos are mouthwatering ~ absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness I could eat that entire pot full!
    Looks so dawg-gone good!

    Hey Kate,thank you so much for visiting and your comment so appreciated,I'm new follower,I sure hope you can come follow back!
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks WAY better than take out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree that it looks way better than take out.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish you made enough for my dinner tonight! Looks fabulous! Can't wait to try your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love any type of Chineese food and love the simply way of breading the chicken with egg whites and cornstarch...so much more healthier and all the sauces are so sweet n'spicey. Such a treat...I'll have to try your recipe next time I'm craving soy sauce ;P Have a lovely weekend. fondly, Roberta
    Following along from Foodie Friday.
    www.loveshackliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. me encanta esta receta la forma de preparar el pollo muy sano y con salsa mucho mejor,tus recetas me encanta ,las fotos de los patos están maravillosas siento un gran amor por estas aves,cariños ay abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmm! This looks so good. I definitely need to try this one. My family would thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw this on "Everyday Sisters" and it looks yummy! I can't wait to make it! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts