Breisach, Germany


After the morning trip to the Black Forest, we decided to take a walk through the little city of Breisach which is in the Rhine Valley situated halfway between Freibrug and Colmar. It is in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg. The city dates back over 4,000 years!


We started our walk from the dock to the center of town.  From this location we could see our destination, the cathedral, St. Stephansmunster situated on a hill, high above us.



As we hiked up the hill to the cathedral, on narrow cobblestone roads and paths, we had to pass under Hagenbach Tower. 


 The tower was constructed in 1319.  


It was originally a prison for citizens and where Governor Peter of Hagenbach from Burgundy was imprisoned in 1474, prior to his execution for murder, breach of oath and rape.


St. Stephansmunster looks out over the town and the Rhine River.  It was built from the end of the 12th century on into the 15th century.  The cathedral houses numerous treasures and artwork. As the construction of the cathedral spanned centuries, Romanesque and High Gothic elements are evident.  Taking pictures inside the cathedral was not permitted.


We left the cathedral on a winding cobblestone street.  As we headed back to the ship we enjoyed visiting the hotels and shopping areas.



It was so much fun to have time to explore the city of Breisach, Germany!


I am participating in Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer.  Thank you, Susan for hosting us!

Comments

  1. Great shots of a pretty area. After going to Europe, I was no longer impressed when I saw a place in the US built in 1785 as the European places were already very old by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking at these pictures...So much charm & character! My dad is in Germany right now, he raises pigeons and is at a huge Pigeon show where people from all over the world come to show their birds. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photographs and beautiful scenery. I am so glad I stopped by. Looks like a great place for a visit and you did such a good job capturing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots! Thanks for taking me along on your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a storybook little town, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little tour of this pretty town. It looks so quaint and I love old buildings and architecture. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed viewing my home again! Thanks much for the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolutely FABULOUS trip! Oh, how I would love to tour Germany. Those buildings are charming, and I know this must have been the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing it with us...

    Happy Outdoor Wed.!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your charming shots make me want to hurry back to Europe. Ditto Big Dude's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a fabulous trip.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the photos, very awesome and must have been fun getting these shots

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful scenery. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful town, great photos... thanks for the tour. I've never been to Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a quaint little town. I love it!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful pictures. I enjoyed your little tour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful town...I can almost feel the history there! Your photos are great...thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm enjoying the photos of your trip very much, Kate. You've shown me some areas of Germany I haven't visited and will hope to do so some day. Breisach is a beautiful little town.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I felt like a just went on a glorious walking tour, without even leaving my wingback chair by the fire!

    Your photographs really bring Germany right to me, thanks for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts