Two Fer One - Grilled Herb Shrimp and Spring Green Risotto



I finally got a new computer.  This is a good thing.  This is a frustrating thing.  This has been an on-going nightmare of sorts.  Not a nightmare with the new computer....but, the old.  Have you ever tried to transfer files from a computer that should have been pushed off the edge of a cliff?  It is not an easy task.  Old computers get picky.  They pick and choose which files to copy regardless of your command. 

You now know why I haven't posted.  It has to do with pictures, software, compatibility and a new speedy Windows 7.  Yes, I had to buy new software.  My pictures aren't even moseying over to the new computer! 

All that said, I am making an attempt to share with you a great meal!  We enjoyed the Barefoot Blogger choices for the month of May at dinner last week.  Kimberly at Indulge and Enjoy selected Spring Green Risotto and Penny from Lake Lure Cottage selected Grilled Herb Shrimp.  It was as though the ladies got together and planned their selections!  Everything went together perfectly.  I even went a step farther...the Grilled Herb Shrimp was to be served with Mango Salsa!  Yummy!!

The flavors were wonderful...my tastebuds were dancing!!


I marvel at the Barefoot Contessa recipes.  Most all of them are absolutely delicious and easy to prepare.  Each of the cookbooks is packed with great dishes.  If you don't have one, you might want to think about adding one to your library.  The Grilled Herb Shrimp is from Barefoot Contessa Parties!.  The Spring Green Risotto can be found in Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.



Grilled Herb Shrimp
Barefoot Contessa Parties!

Serves 6

2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined (see note)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, small-diced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 lemon, juiced

Combine all the ingredients and allow them to marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Skewer the shrimp. I use 3 or 4 shrimp on a 12-inch skewer for dinner. Heat a grill with coals and brush the grill with oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking. Grill the shrimp for only 1 1/2 minutes on each side.

Note: I leave the tails on when I'm peeling the shrimp.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Spring Green Risotto
Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics


Serves 4-6

1 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
1 cup chopped fennel
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
4 to 5 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 pound thin asparagus
10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted, or 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh peas
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, preferably Italian
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus extra for serving


Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and fennel and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add the rice and stir for a minute to coat with the vegetables, oil, and butter. Add the white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed. Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process should take 25 to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the asparagus diagonally in 1 1/2-inch lengths and discard the tough ends. Blanch in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, until al dente. Drain and cool immediately in ice water. (If using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes until the starchiness is gone.)
When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, drain the asparagus and add it to the risotto with the peas, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.

Whisk the lemon juice and mascarpone together in a small bowl. When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone mixture plus the Parmesan cheese and chives. Set aside, off the heat, for a few minutes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve hot with a sprinkling of chives and more Parmesan cheese.

PRINTABLE RECIPE



I had never made risotto before.  I have always asked why I would want to be tied to a stove for 45 minutes...I now know why!  This was absolutely delicious.  It received rave reviews multiple times!  It was great as leftovers the next day.  I know that I will make it again and again.  It was perfect!  There isn't much more I can say other than my tastebuds truly did dance all the way through the meal!!


In May Barefoot Bloggers are posting about Grilled Herb Shrimp and Spring Green Risotto.  Stop by to see what other BB Bloggers are saying.

Comments

  1. Kate!
    Love that your featuring Ina...
    Today I made her "Shrimp Orzo" salad ...
    Love the flavor with the three lemons in it.
    Tastes so clean..
    Hurray for the upgrade on the computer...
    life should be much simpler now...hopefully.
    Both your Ina recipes turned out picture perfect.
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I'm sorry about the computer problems. It's so hard when machines decide to do their own thing. I hope it's straightened out now.

    Risotto is one of our favorite meals. It's a standby at our house. I always make more than we'll eat because I love it leftover. You can do so much with it!

    I love the fresh green of this risotto, and the grilled shrimp seem to be perfect with it. Did you set a place for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I did the same thing with the shrimp and risotto together. Glad you liked my pick. The salsa added a special touch. Your pictures are awesome - maybe I need a new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, your shrimp and risotto look fabulous! I love Ina's recipes. Didn't make the risotto this month, but I did post about the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! Sorry about your computer woes! Same here. Now on a new laptop with Windows 7 and I have to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to say, I saw she has a new cookbook coming out in October.

    Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Kate, this dinner is so scrumptious that my mouth is watering for it at 8:00 in the morning. You've prepared shrimp my favorite way and that risotto...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate both your dishes look fabulous! I have made both recipes and they are really lovely!
    Your pics look beautiful...you are making me hungry!
    Glad that your computer debacle is almost over...
    It is a big pain.
    You made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures look great, and glad that your new computer seems to be working out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That meal sounds amazing! Love all these herbs in the shrimp and risotto dish; very fragrant I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray for Ina!
    Hurray for new computers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your computer woes end soon and you can move on to the newer more cooperative model! Both of your dishes look great. The risotto looks similar to one in Cooking Light this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gracious, my mouth is on the floor in amazement!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so fantastic...I love Ina Garten...I have both of those books, but I haven't tried either of those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That shrimp & that risotto...but that SHRIMP! Your pics are mouth watering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I just met you today on another blog and am so glad to have done so. Both recipes look like winners and I have all of Ina's books!! What I'm really happy to have is the previous recipe for the molded seafood salad. It sounds just like the one my grandmother served her Mah Jong ladies when they played at her house. My sisters and I loved sneaking a crackerful when we were around. I remember lots of gelatin salads. Somehow you never see them in cookbooks any more.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! Very light and tasty, and perfect for summer. I'm a long time reader of your fabulous blog, but first time follower as I've only just opened a blogger account and set up a blog (http://bakezilla1.blogspot.com/). I just hope mine is as great as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts