Lokshen Kugel aka Noodle Pudding

I have always been intrigued by kugel.  I have always wanted to sample it.  I have always wanted to make it.  So, I was delighted to find a recipe for Lokshen Kugel on Dena's blog, Oh!  You Cook! Now, I had no idea what a lokshen was but I did know that a kugel was a type of pudding or casserole made from noodles.  After a little reading I learned that Lokshen is the Yiddish word for noodles. Alright, I am on a roll.....Lokshen Kugel is a noodle pudding or casserole.  Today it was a pudding as I determined to make it sweet as opposed to savory!

Dena told me that a kugel made for dessert has all kinds of tasty ingredients:  cinnamon, sugar, sour cream, cottage cheese, butter and fruit....to start.  This sounded pretty tasty to me.  I continued reading about kugel and learned that the ratio of sugar to noodles is usually 1 1/2 cups sugar to a 12 ounce package of noodles. So, I did increase the sugar from the original recipe.  I also added a topping of crushed corn flakes mixed with cinnamon and sugar.

This was super good.  I served it at a dinner with our dear friends.  Steve and his brother both said that this reminded them of the kugel that their grandmother used to make.  They were really pleased to savor this wonderful dessert and I was very pleased that my first attempt was well received! Thank you, Dena for sharing!


Lokshen Kugel
adapted from Oh! You Cook!

1 12-ounce package wide egg noodles
16 ounce small curd cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
1/2 cup raisins, dark or golden
Topping
Crushed corn flakes, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

Yield:  16 party-size servings

Preheat oven:  350° F.
Spray a 13 X 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Cook noodles per package directions.  Drain, rinse with cold water to stop cooking.  Transfer noodles to prepared baking pan and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream, and melted butter.  In a small mixing bowl, lightly whisk the eggs.  Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.  Then, whisk.  Stir the egg mixture into the cheese mixture and then pour over the noodles. and mix lightly.

Add the diced apple and raisins.  Gently mix until the noodles are completely coated with the egg-cheese mixture and fruit is evenly distributed.

Crush the cord flakes and mix with the cinnamon and sugar.  Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the noodles.

Cover the pan loosely with foil.  Bake for about thirty minutes.  Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional twenty to thirty minutes or until lightly browned.

Serve the kugel hot sprinkled with additional cinnamon and sugar if desired,

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Dena had so many great recipes on her blog that it was hard to narrow down the choices.  I considered the Garlic Cheddar Biscuits and the Potato Latkes  but the kugel just had a special gravitation!  :-)

I need to tell you more about Dena.  She is quite the cook and author of the cookbook, The Everything Kosher Slow Cooker Cookbook.  It is filled with kosher recipes and tons of tips for preparing some amazing recipes!  If you have time, visit Dena's blog, it is filled with stories, history, musings, and recipes that will warm your heart and your tummy!

I learned about Dena when I was paired with her, this month, for the Secret Recipe Club.  What a treat it was.  Dena has a wonderful blog with lots of recipes making it very difficult to focus on just one!!

I hope you have some time to visit other members of the Secret Recipe Club.  You won't be disappointed.


Comments

  1. Kate, Simple ingredients easy to come by and it sounds and looks great. I can't say that I've ever had kugel or any dessert made with noodles. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unusual for us but well received so I must have done something right!

      Delete
  2. I have never thought of this before... but what a fun idea...
    sweet noodle dessert... love it!

    Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never have thought to make a sweet noodle dessert! I bet the corn flakes also added a wonderful crunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had kugel before, but this looks and sounds wonderful. Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with the others, I have never had a kugel for either. Who ever thought you could have noodles for dessert? Is it something like a bread pudding? Great choice for SRC - very different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more firm than bread pudding. You can adjust the amount of egg to create a "looser" pudding. I think mine is middle of the road in firmness. It is best served warm.

      Delete
  6. I used to buy frozen kugel that I really liked, I'll have to try and make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So unusual or at least I've never seen anything like it but it sounds delicious! It's always nice to learn about something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Visiting from SRC B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, Kate, I haven't had Kugel in eons! My grandmother had a Jewish friend who use to drop off home made dessert Kugel every Thursday for years. Since we made the drive to the "city" each Sunday, the first thing we checked for was Kugel pudding in her fridge. Most times, she saved some for us:)

    I think your crushed corn flakes are a welcome surprise. I must remember that.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Kate...the recipe round-up of the Secret Recipe Club looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts