Five-Spice-Glazed Salmon

We have been trying to eat more fish.  That led me to Costco as there isn't a fish store in the area...pretty sad, isn't it?  I have had great luck with the fish from Costco and I can truly say that  I have never gotten a smelly piece of fish.  On this day, I found a beautiful salmon fillet that made its way to the dinner table!

This is a great recipe as it doesn't require a lot of time.  It would be really easy to have this wonderful meal on the table after coming home from work...it's that quick and easy!  While the method in the recipe is to use the broiler, I think I am partial to the BBQ and would prefer to cook it that way the next time I make it.  Personally, I found the cooking time recommended to be a bit whacky.  The fish was no way near done in the six minutes suggested!  I followed the directions but found that my fillets needed about 15-20 minutes more than the time suggested. Maybe my fillets were more thick that the test fillets..who knows.  But, I recommend that you check for doneness as you go....  There are so many variable when cooking fish.  Be certain to check it at the thickest point.  If it flakes, it is done.


Five-Spice-Glazed Salmon
adapted from Fine Cooking #107

Yield:  4 servings

1/4 cup honey
4 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
4 salmon fillets, skin on
Non-stick cooking spray

In a small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and crushed garlic.  Place the salmon fillets on a large plate, skin side down.  Pour the honey mixture over the salmon.  Turn the fillets so that they are skin side up and let the fish marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.

Position the rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.

Arrange the salmon fillets skin side down on the baking sheet.  Brush the salmon with any remaining marinade from the plate.

Broil the salmon for 5 minutes then check the fish fillets and reposition them to assure even cooking. Let the salmon cook for about another 10 minutes.

Here are some tips from the Seattle Local Food blog for how to tell when salmon is done.

  • The top will be slightly brown and any tiny bits sticking up get a little charred.
  • A little whiteness appears at the sides from the fat.
  • When the top is pressed with a wooden spoon, the top gives back a little resistance.
  • Most importantly is to cut into the thickest part.  At the bottom you will have some translucent, raw-looking fish....BUT, this part of the fish can be easily teased apart with a butter knife.  If it cannot be teased apart, cook it just a short minute longer.
  • The fish is the most moist and delicious when the translucent area as so.



I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

I am sh

Comments

  1. Kate, We've been trying to eat more fish as well. The other day we had some beautiful Tilapia filets from Fresh Market. This beautiful chunk of glazed salmon with the sides is right up there in my fish lexicon! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat quite a bit of fish and salmon is one of our favorites. It's nice because it's easy to find and easy to cook. I love your idea of the 5 spices, what a nice change from salt and pepper. I've always broiled salmon and you're right - check often, it can get away from you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never put 5 spices..sounds like a great idea..I was looking at your bloglist..just the few top names..I miss some:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never put 5 spices..sounds like a great idea..I was looking at your bloglist..just the few top names..I miss some:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous! Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday to say Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us. Have a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts