Old Fashion Butter Cookies

I have been on a cookie spree. I have baked and baked. My youngest appeared in the kitchen, surveyed everything and asked, "Where are the cookies we decorate? Where are the Spritz cookies? It isn't Christmas without those." And, she wanted cookies that were soft not the crisp sugar cookies, but the ones that are cakey. (Is that a word?) She wanted the cookies that we always made not a new recipe.

Of course, I had just finished baking four other types of cookies but since those weren't, in her mind, the traditional Christmas cookies, I figured I had better get going. So out of the recipe box came the battered recipe card...after a heartfelt..."Yes, I will help," from my daughter, I started another round of baking...as things go...she went caroling....I baked cookies. She did return in time to decorate!!

This recipe has been around for a long time. Early in my career, I went to a Christmas tea hosted by our PTA President. She served the most wonderful cookies. They were soft, flavorful and beautifully decorated! I asked for the recipe and have been making these cookies for at least forty years!

Old Fashion Butter Cookies

Makes 6-7 dozen

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp cream/milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sift flour with baking powder and salt.

Cream butter, gradually add sugar, creaming well. Stir in egg, cream, vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Chill if necessary.

Roll out 1/3 of the dough at a time, on a floured surface, to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. (I put parchment on the cookie sheet.)

Bake 5-8 minutes. (Do not brown.)
Watch the cookies closely the first few times to make certain you can adjust the cooking time based on your oven.

PRINTABLE RECIPE




Comments

Popular Posts