Another Day, Another Cookie

This was the way of it....Pandemic day 132...another cookie.  There was so much baking at my house.  I paged through so many of my older cookbooks and baked my way through a few, too.  On this day, the cookie of choice was oatmeal.  

I was paging  through one of the older cookbooks on the shelf.  I was looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe when my mind flashed to the day that I bought the cookbook.  It was my lunch hour and I stood at the small bookcase in one of the department stores trying to decide if I really needed a second basics cookbook, of course I did.  I always enjoyed the cookbooks by Rosso and Lukins.  They were published at a time when cooking was changing, becoming more adventurous.  I had every expectation that this Basics Cookbook would include a little adventure! I bought the book and noted to myself that I needed to return to the store when I had more time...there were so many other cookbooks to consider adding to my collection!


My mom baked the very best oatmeal cookies.  They were the basic recipe that she did something magical to...I will never know what it was but they were quite tasty.  My thought was to be adventurous and branch out.  I wasn't looking for basic oatmeal cookies. I had hopes of finding something just a bit different.   When I saw the recipe title, Lacy Oatmeal Cookies, I knew I had found it.  These were not basic, they were lacy and they were supposed to be extra special.  Actually, they had me at the words lacy and brown sugar!


Can you see all of the caramelized brown sugar in all of those little cracks and crevices?  So good.   

Lacy Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from The New Basics Cookbook

Yield: 2 dozen (with a small scoop)
Oven:  350°F.

1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.

Toss the oats, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda together in a bowl.  Set aside.

Cream the butter and both sugars together in a mixing bowl until light.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Slowing beat in the dry ingredients, add the raisins and walnuts.

Drop the mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls or use a small scoop, about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.  Bake until golden, 10 minutes.  Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes to cool slightly; then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.


Try not to eat them all while they are still warm....they are that good!!



Comments

Popular Posts