Slow Cooker Lentil, Vegetable and Pasta Soup #soupswappers

Today is Saturday Soup Swappers and today's challenge was to make a soup with an Italian flair!

I think that I mentioned my husband having knee replacement surgery which led to no appetite.  Soup was was came to mind.  I have made so many pots of soup this month that it is actually hard to decide which one to post for today's challenge.  It was a good month for soup!

When I think of Italian soups, the first soup I usually think of is Minestrone. I have a great recipe for it but I had seen some lentils in the pantry as well as some kale and vegetables in the refrigerator so it was settled.  I pulled out the slow cooker and put it together before I left for the library as I was volunteering in the Genealogy Room that day.  It was nice to know that dinner would be ready when I got home!

This is a super recipe for improvising.  Whatever is in season will work.  You can make it as brothy or hardy as you like depending on you selection of vegetables.  You really must give it a try!



Slow Cooker Lentil, Vegetable & Pasta Soup

1 pound Bob's Red Mill Lentils (brown), rinsed and picked over
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large celery rib with leaves, chopped
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (about 2 cups)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 medium zucchini, sliced
8 cups vegetable stock
1 cup small pasta

Garnish:  Chopped parsley, fresh grated romano

Combine all of the ingredients except the pasta and zucchini in the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.  Add the pasta, sliced zucchini and salt and pepper.  Cook an additional 30 minutes or more until the pasta is tender.  (You may wish to increase the temperature of the slow cooker for this last step.)

PRINTABLE RECIPE

We loved the soup!  It had great flavor.  The next time I make it though, I will not use zucchini.  I just didn't like the flavor, it seemed bitter.  Maybe it was because it was winter zucchini as I am usually a big fan of this squash.   The kale never made it to the soup...it didn't pass muster!



The Saturday Soup Swappers is a group of bloggers brought together by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm. The group gets together on the third Saturday of the month to share soups or stews based on a theme selected by one of the members. If you are interested in joining in on the fun, follow the link above for more information. All are welcome!

Inlinkz Link Party

Comments

  1. Can you believe I've never tried lentils before? This soup sure has me wanting to now. It looks delicious and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than coming home to a wonderful aromatic house and dinner ready for the table. Thanks for hosting this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those gorgeous orange veggies in one bowl...totally love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a hearty and delicious soup! Thanks so much for the great theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A flavorful and aromatic soup, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup looks delicious but I like but Bev does not so I order it out. Hope Terry's knew knee is working fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts