Spicy Chili Verde Chicken Soup #soupswappers

This summer has been one of heat waves....one after another.  In fact we have had over sixty six days that were over 100 degrees, so far this year.  It doesn't match the record of seventy six days set in 1917, so in this case not setting the record is a good thing!  Needless to say, there hasn't been much cooking and definitely no baking going on at my house.

For today, though, I was challenged to make a quick weeknight soup.  The winner to me would be last month's soup, which as a copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup.  It was really a quick one to put together and super tasty.  But, since I cannot post the same thing twice, I stepped up to the plate!

Trying to slip a soup past Mr. T. when it is 112° might be tricky...but, I figured I would wow him with flavor!  It worked.  The first comment he made was in regard to how flavorful the soup was!  Score!

A few years ago I made a Tomatillo-Braised Pork Loin by Rick Bayless.  I loved every bite of it but the potatoes had an amazing flavor.  I decided to capitalize on that and put together a Spicy Chili Verde Chicken Soup using the same method that was used in the Rick Bayless recipe.

I broiled the tomatillos and peppers and since this was a quick recipe, I put the potatoes on one end of the baking sheet and roasted them at the same time.  The broiling took the most time.  If you aren't up for a really spicy soup, then you might devein and seed the peppers!

We enjoyed this spicy soup even though it was a very warm day.  I had thought about making some cornbread but decided the kitchen was warm enough.  I served some great Honey Salted Cornbread Crisps, that I found at Trader Joe's, with it.  It was just right.


Spicy Chili Verde Chicken Soup

1 pound tomatillos, remove husks and rinse
1 jalapeño
1/2 serrano, deveined, seeded
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup cilantro
2 cups chicken stock
10 baby red potatoes, scrubbed, cut into small pieces
1 15-ounce can small white beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
2 cups rotisserie chicken, cut into small pieces
1 ear of corn, roasted, cut kernels from cob

Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil.  Place the tomatillos and peppers on one end.  Place the small pieces of potato on the other end of the sheet.  

Roast the potatoes, tomatillos and chiles on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until darkly roasted, even blackened in spots, about 5 minutes. Flip them over and roast the other side — 4 or 5 minutes more will give you splotchy-black and blistered tomatillos and chiles that are soft and cooked through. Cool and transfer everything but the potatoes to a food processor or blender, also pour any juices that have run out onto the baking sheet. Process until smoothly pureed.  The potatoes may not be completely tender.  They can finish cooking as the soup simmers after adding the chicken, beans and corn.

While the tomatillos, peppers and potatoes are in the boiler, prepare the remaining ingredients for the soup base.

Add the olive oil to a Dutch oven that has been heated over medium.  When it is warm, add the onions.  Saute until they are soft and transparent.  Add the garlic and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

Pour the tomatillo mixture into the Dutch oven.  With an immersion blender puree the soup.  Put the heat on medium-low to reheat the mixture.  Add the chicken, potatoes, corn kernels and white beans. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.  Add the lime juice.  Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream, additional lime wedges and cilantro if desired.



The theme for this month's Saturday Soup Swappers is Quick Weeknight Soups.  It is hosted by Amy at Amy's Cooking Adventures.  Who wouldn't love to have a quick soup after a busy day at work and/or school?!  Sometimes it is hard to have the energy to hit the kitchen after a busy day.  This month's recipes are certain to help you out!

The Saturday Soup Swappers is a group of bloggers brought together by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm. The group gets together on the third Saturday of the month to share soups or stews based on a theme selected by one of the members. All are welcome!



Comments

  1. Kathy, There is so much going on with this soup its almost like a stew...which is right up my alley! We only had about 15 days in the 90s this year with the high at about 95. My sympathies to ya'll on the heat! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that thick stew like bowl. And you know that I love Rick as well, so I know that this soup is wonderful. Heat during heat is perfect....that is why Mexico serves spicy dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delightful! I've never worked with tomatillos before...I certainly need to change that after seeing this recipe! - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes to everything about this soup! It sounds amazing; I love all of the flavors! P~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful choice for this month's soup fiesta... tomatillos are definitely a great ingredient, the more I use them, the more I love them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good! I love broiling peppers and tomatillos for salsa but haven't tried it yet for soup. Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flavors in here sound delicious- I have never cooked with tomatillos so this should be fun because I am def. trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a flavorful and delicious soup love the spice in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soup looks and sounds delicious Kate and it's brave for a 112F day. We're in Custer SD and will give this a try when we get back as we love chili verde

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE tomatillos though I've only ever made chili verde with pork. I'll have to try it with chicken soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I don't think I would feel like soup in that heat unless it was REALLY good. This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! This sounds amazing! Love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts