Scandinavian Fruit Soup! - #soupswappers

It is Saturday.  Just the sound of the word brings a smile...of course, when one is retired, everyday is Saturday!  Three cheers for Saturday!  This is the third Saturday of the month which means that today is Soup Saturday Swappers.  The Saturday Soup Swappers is a group of bloggers brought together by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm. The group gets together on the third Saturday of the month to share soups or stews based on a theme selected by one of the members. If you are interested in joining in on the fun, follow the link above for more information. All are welcome!

Today I am sharing a fruit soup that is part of the Scandinavian cuisine.  They are usually made with stone fruits like peaches or cherries but in the winter, dried fruits are used.  Cream or some kind of dairy can also be added...so is a fruit soup like a smoothie only eaten with a spoon?  Yes, no, maybe!

Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla selected this month's theme.  She stretched my mind with this one, but in a good way!  Thank you, Camilla, for challenging me this month!




Scandinavian Fruit Soup

1 cup water
1/4-1/2 cup sugar (optional)
3 Tbsp Minute Tapioca
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
2 1/2 cups water

1 small pkg frozen tropical mixed fruit
1 small pkg frozen raspberries
1 banana, sliced, for top
1-2 Tbsp toasted coconut for garnish

In a medium saucepan mix 1 cup water, sugar, tapioca over medium heat until the tapioca turns clear. Pour the mixture into a large bowl.  Chill.  The mixture will thicken slightly.  Whisk well.

Add the frozen fruits.  Chill thoroughly.

Serve cold topped with banana slices and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.

Notes:  Soup may be served cold or warmed.  Any mixture of fruits will work.



I had to really think to wrap my head around fruit describing soup, two opposites in a sense..one describing the other.  Two totally different images battling it out in my head.  And, yes, Mr. T. shook his head when I blew across the spoon before taking a bite!  Well, soup, in my head, is hot!  Old habits die hard but, you know, I could eat fruit soup again!  It was perfect last night as we relaxed on the patio.  In fact, it was darn right refreshing!


Comments

  1. I love that the fruits are left whole and not pureed in this soup. Great share, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seeing tapioca more and more lately! I've even purchased some...I'm going to give this a try! It sounds wonderful, Kathy. P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Totally different! I like it and we'll have to give it a try... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blowing on cold soup...that's a new one and very funny! I'm going to have to say that this soup looks like a must try...so pretty! - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup is so pretty! Love the whole pieces of fruit in it, and love that you can change it up depending on the season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would make a great dessert on a hot night! Love this idea~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost made something similar this month. I was torn between the Raspberry soup and a Svesker Suppe, similar in that it is made with dried prunes and apples. Great choice, and those Kammerjunkere (rusks) I made last week would go so good with that soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO delicious!! Thanks for joining me. I know it was a stretch for some folks. You definitely rose to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an interesting recipe. What did you serve with it, if you don't mind me asking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts