Lemon Rosemary Muffins

Are you one of those people who likes to do "everything"?  By that I mean that you have many irons in the fire at the same time....I admit, I am one of those people.  I like to feel the momentum around me and participating in different things and have projects fits my style.  When I was working I always felt as though I was juggling....there were many projects happening and things were always whirling. That is the way that I have approached retirement, also.  I love the energy!

All of that said, I am adding a cooking group to the mix.  The Improv Cooking Challenge is a group of ladies who love a challenge!  Each month two ingredients are listed and the cook is to find a recipe or create a recipe that uses the two ingredients.  I am more of a "find a recipe" type of gal so I went searching for January's ingredients:  lemon and rosemary.  They are such a delightful flavor combination.

I found the perfect recipe for us.  It was in one of 2016's cookbook recommendations, Better Baking:  Wholesome Ingredients, Delicious Desserts by Genevieve Ko.  Her book has used alternative ingredients and fats to make delicious, "better for you" recipes that are painless and fun!  You will want to check it out.  In fact, you can peek at it here.  Her mini muffins are the bomb!


Lemon Rosemary Muffins
adapted from Better Baking

Yield:  36 mini muffins

1 1/4 cups fine stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh corn kernels, chopped
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus leaves for topping
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large lemon, zested, juiced

Preheat Oven:  375° F.
Coat the mini muffin tray with cooking spray or use cups

In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the corn and rosemary.  Toss until the corn is coated with the mixture.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the milk, oil, maple syrup, and egg.  Zest the lemon into the mixture, add 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice and whisk to blend.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.  Fold gently until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.  Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.  The cups will be almost full.  Top each muffin with a few rosemary leaves, if desired.

Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Pop the muffins from the tin and cool on the rack until warm or at room temperature.

Make Ahead:  The muffins are best served the same day but can be kept at room temperature for up to two days.  They may be frozen for two weeks.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


If you would like to join in, check out the Improv Cooking Challenge post made by our hostess, Nichole, at Cookaholic Wife.  I am also sharing at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.



Comments

  1. OHMYWORD, Kate! Those muffins look too beautiful to eat, almost...
    I love that they have cornmeal & fresh corn in them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of those muffins. My first attempt this month was cupcakes.....a complete fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins look really good! I love the bright yellow colour of them, ties perfectly in with the lemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - I love muffins! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth may have started watering looking at these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh Muffins, love the addition of cornmeal. On my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, Very pretty and they sound good too! Nice combination/mix of ingredients... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. And corn! I never expected w/ the lemon:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the maple syrup AND all the rest of the flavors you put together here. I think you rocked this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would love these muffins, I will be pinning this recipe. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing you awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts