Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew with Chipotle

It is raining and it is cold.  On this type of day when I find myself standing in the kitchen thinking about dinner, I know that it has to be some type of comfort food.

I also have a new best friend of sorts, the New York Times Food site.  They have a page on Facebook. Everyday I see wonderful dishes just waiting for me!  On this day I saw a Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew that would be perfect!

The dish had all of the great flavors of Mexico, even chipotle, and my favorite, sweet potatoes. And... it's healthy!  What could be better?


Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew with Chipotle
slightly adapted from The New York Times

Yield:  8 servings

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt to taste
2 tsp ground cumin
2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed
6 cups chicken broth (water or vegetable broth may be substituted)
2 medium sweet potatoes (dark orange flesh), about 1 to  1 1/4 pounds, peeled and cut in large dice
1 to 2 chipotles in adobo, seeded and chopped (to taste)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges for serving

In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion.  Cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and salt.  Cook, stirring, until the garlic smells fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the ground cumin and carrots.  Stir together.

Add the lentils, broth, sweet potatoes, chipotles, tomato paste, bay leaf and salt to taste.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.  Taste and adjust seasoning.

Stir in the cilantro and simmer for another minute.  Serve with lime wedges.

NOTE:  Start with one chipotle and increase to your taste.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This was perfect for the cold weather we were having and there was enough leftover for lunch the next day!

I return to California tomorrow so there won't be any rain and it won't to as cold....I will miss the weather in Seattle.  Blustery, rainy days are my favorite!

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Comments

  1. Looks like a great dish for the fall and such an interesting assortment of ingredients - never would have come up with this, but hard to argue with a five star recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they have an Instagram page? I am not on FB but am on IG..I think I woul enjoy the site very much!

    Looks good Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This combination of flavors sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts