Kale, Quinoa and Chickpea Salad...Packed with Protein!

Kale must grow really well in our area as there have been bunches of kale in our veggie box for over a month!  A little kale goes a long way....I have used it in salads, in soup, made chips and if we had rabbits, I would feed it to them!  (I hear that they like it.)  When I first saw this recipe I was hooked. Why?  Because of how colorful the salad was...not necessarily the fact that it had kale in the ingredient list and was packed with protein!  It was also because I had most everything but the pomegranate seeds and the sumac.  ...and, I must admit that there was a very warm day last week so having salad for dinner would work.

The quinoa, kale, chickpeas, and pistachios add healthy fat and protein to this salad.  It is perfect to serve as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish.


Kale, Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
adapted from Foodie Crush

Yield:  6-8 servings

2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups chopped kale, ribs removed
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
5-6 clementine oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped pistachios
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds

Vinaigrette
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp sumac, divided
1 tsp dried mint, crushed
1 tsp kosher salt
2-3 twists of fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Combine the cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans, chopped kale, orange slices, pistachios and the pomegranate seeds in a large salad bowl.

Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, garlic, 1 teaspoon of sumac, dried mint and kosher salt and ground pepper in a small jar.  Shake well.

Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss to evenly coat.  Dust the salad with the remaining teaspoon of sumac and the freshly chopped mint.  Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately.  The salad may also be refrigerated.  It keeps well for two days.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Terry loved the salad and enjoyed it for dinner and lunch!  He was disappointed when I shared that to me, it was just okay.  I do not think I am a fan of sumac.  Anyway, everybody has their preferences.  I am glad that I tried it and it is a pretty salad.  If you try it, let me know what you think.  If you have any extra, Terry will be in line with a bowl!

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Wow, the ingredients are so healthy ...and I see a few other recipes here I like to add onto my recipe box! Thank you for sharing:)

    Hope I recollect it rightly, did you add one of your images to SEASONS this week? If not, you can add this one, or your post below:) Hope to see you there before 7pm, Pacific time when the link closes today (Wednesday). Love your input in the Spring Season:) Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful, delicious and healthy salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, Totally different than anything that we've ever made...or eaten. Thanks for the inspiration! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful receipt and delicious photos.
    Best, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts