Potato and White Bean Soup with Sage, Blogger CLUE


I am very pleased to be a part of a new recipe exchange group called Blogger C.L.U.E.  Each month members are assigned a blog, a theme and challenged to find a recipe that meets the theme!  How fun is that?!  I love a challenge...I love exploring new blogs....I love to cook....and, I do love to eat new things.  I was so excited to get my first blog assignment:  Anna Dishes.  Anna's blog is packed with "homegrown, flavor-packed recipe creations".  I saw so many dishes that I would prepare that I had a hard time focusing on the theme...and what was the theme for March?  Well, of course, it was the potato!

I tried not to get distracted  by the lovely Salmon with a White Wine Cream Sauce, or the Drunk London Broil...instead I focused on Twice Baked Smashed Potatoes and Balsamic Roasted Fingerling Potatoes.   Then I spied the Potato and White Bean Soup with Sage!  Eureka!


Potato with White Bean Soup with Sage
adapted from Anna Dishes

2 lbs Yukon potatoes
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, rinsed and chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
8-10 sage leaves, chopped
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
4 cans of Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
1/2-3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
a splash of white balsamic vinegar (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the leeks, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently until they are very soft but not browned, about 10-12 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue to cook.  Add the sage leaves and saute until the leaves are softened.

Add the potatoes and bay leaves and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Add the stock.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce to a gentle simmer and cover.  Cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.  

Stir in the heavy cream, milk and parmesan.  Stir to blend.  Add the beans and stir to evenly distribute.  Simmer about 10-12 minutes.  Remove the bay leaves.

Remove about three cups of the soup and transfer it to a blender.  Puree and add the mixture back into the soup pot.  Stir well to combine.  Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.  Add the splash of white balsamic vinegar if desired.

Notes:  
1) I only used two cups of dairy as I reduced the amount of heavy cream by one cup.  If you desire more liquid, add the additional cup of cream.  
2) The amount of parmesan is my guesstimate as there wasn't a measurement listed in the recipe. 
3) Instead of removing some of the soup to a blender, I used an immersion blender until it was the desired consistency, being careful to leave some potato chunks and beans!
4) The mister had just finished frying some bacon so I took a few pieces to crumble as a garnish...pretty tasty.  Doesn't everything go better with bacon?  "smile"

Serve hot with crusty bread.



We really enjoyed this soup.  I loved the addition of cannellini beans to the potato soup!  Delicious! We had leftovers the next day and I do believe that the soup was even better the next day.  This soup is worthy of landing a spot on the soup rotation!



Join me to explore the potato recipes that the other Blogger CLUE participants have prepared!

<

Comments

  1. Beautifully plated soup Kate. A wise choice. You can never go wrong with potatoes and leeks.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've joined us!!! What a delicious, hearty soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the club. I checked out that soup recipe too but had just made potato soup for my food n flix challenge. Do try the roasted fingerling potatoes, you will not be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely soup and the photography is great! So glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, Great looking soup... Sounds like it has a lot of flavor going for it too! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore sage in every form, I know i would love this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely everything goes better with bacon! Especially beans and potatoes. What a lovely soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sound delicious, I think potatoes and sage are a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sage with beans! Throw in some potatoes and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. White beans are so darn good in soups. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking soup! Love the combo of white beans and potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the group! This looks and sounds like a lovely soup. Love the addition of sage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy, yummy! I have all the ingredients so this may be dinner tomorrow night since I never got to the grocery to get the Brussels sprouts or ciabatta bread for the chicken brie sandwiches with Brussels sprouts and candied walnuts on the side... In fact, it'd make a great dinner AND lunch the next day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think potatoes and beans are the perfect pairing!! And the soup looks positively fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely bowl of comfort! Great choice for the reveal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bacon, sage, potato...white bean...this sounds like a bowl full of comfort. Delicious pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a really good sounding, and looking, soup Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so much love creamy soups like this....the addition of the sage is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great recipe choice, Kathy. We have had some beautiful days in the 70's but it is still definitely soup weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a great soup! Your photo and presentation are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts