Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce Over Pasta


There were chicken sausages in the freezer, a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in the pantry and I had been thumbing through The Gourmet Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley.  Guess what I am doing for dinner? Right, something in the slow cooker with sausage and sun-dried tomatoes.

I found a recipe that was a close match to what I had available.  I was determined that I was not going to make the drive to the store.  You know those kinds of days.  I did adapt the recipe a bit I used a jar of sun-dried tomatoes instead of the dry-packed and I didn't have two cans of crushed tomatoes so I used crushed and diced.  It all came together nicely!

There was plenty for the two of us as well as a "special delivery" to the neighbors...and leftovers for tonight!  I have the hardest time cooking for two.  The meal got thumbs up from everybody.  I would definitely make this again....easy...and tasty!

Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce 
over Pasta
adapted from The Gourmet Slow Cooker, by Lynn Alley


6 oz sun dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
1 cup hearty red wine
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 allspice berries
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3/4 pound chicken sausage, sliced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz) cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 sprig of thyme or 1/2-1 tsp dried thyme, to taste
Shredded Parmesan for serving

Combine the fennel and the allspice seeds in a mortar and grind finely.

Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.  Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, about 7-8 minutes, until starting to brown.  Add the garlic, celery, and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add the sausage slices and the spice mixture, stir for 2-3 minutes, until mixed in well.  Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and wine.  Stir to mix.

Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and add the thyme.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Check the mixture for taste and to see that it is at the thickness you desire.  Adjust seasonings.  Remove the thyme before serving.

Serve over creamy polenta or pasta.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


The meal was accompanied by an Adelaida Pinot Noir that was a perfect match!  I must admit that I was originally going to serve this over polenta but I didn't have enough corn meal....good thing there is always pasta in the pantry!

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Don't you love it when you can pull a meal together from what you have on hand? You pulled off a great meal Kate. I love using my crock pot, so this will be bookmarked. Thanks Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun when you came come up with a recipe that fits what you have. We love sun-dried tomatoes and this looks so comforting.
    Sam
    P.S. I didn't realize I had the exact same thought as Penny until after I typed my comment. Now that's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in a sun-dried tomato kick--but that's good, because I love them. This looks like a good dish and easy to whip up after work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, So simple and straightforward and yet attractive and satisfying! My kind of pasta entree... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job of adapting to what you had on hand - the dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good and a good way of using what's on hand on a not wanting to run to the store day. I've had those days and you did it right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this looks delicious, Kate. Sometimes my favorite dinners are made with what I have in the pantry. Don't you have a Danube trip coming up soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was your neighbor. This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sounds wonderful and I wish I had a bowl of that for breakfast. ..... oh yes, savory left overs are some of my early morning favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate,
    I just love a great dish like this so simple and delicious. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts