Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - Cookie Carnival!

Baking and cold weather seem to go together.  As a child remember that we always baked cookies on a rainy day....I loved doing that...the warmth from the oven, the wonderful smells from the kitchen wafting through the house, and, most importantly to me, the sound of rain pitter-pattering on the roof and splashing against the windows.  It made cookie baking a warm and cozy activity.

Today, if I wait for rain, we would never eat cookies.  Rain is always promised but a few drops here and there aren't quite what I grew up enjoying!  That is why I thought participating in a Secret Recipe Club Cookie Carnival for the holidays would be fun, regardless of the weather, we would have cookies!


Aren't they pretty?  I just love the sparkle of the sanding sugar.  Rolling the cookies in sanding sugar was actually an afterthought on my part and I must say it was a good thought!  What could be better than triple chocolate, peppermint kisses and sparkles!!?

These Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies were inspired by a recipe posted by Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet.  Wendy is a Texas girl who loves to cook and travel....not only does she post recipes, but she has numerous product spotlights featured, as well as regional restaurant features and travelogues.  

I was tempted to make her Chocolate Vanilla Bean Meringue Cookies  but decided that chocolate was in the pantry, and so.....while, Wendy went for the peppermint bang in her chocolate cookie recipe...after thinking about it, I decided to go for the chocolate with a hint of peppermint.  Thank you for the inspiration, Wendy.  And, I must fess up....I made a few adjustments along the way, one being that I omitted the Crisco that Wendy used....(it isn't something that I have on-hand).

Mr. T and the neighbors have attested to how tasty these cookies are...I will definitely make them again...do I have to wait until next year?

Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
inspired by The Weekend Gourmet and Hershey's

48 Hershey's Kisses Brand Candy Cane Mint Candies
1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 Tbsp milk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup white sanding sugar

Yield:  About 48 cookies

Preheat oven:  350° F.

Prepare the baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.

Remove the wrappers from the Candy Cane Mint Candies.  Place the candies in a bowl and set aside.

Place the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in the mixing bowl and beat well.  Add the eggs and milk and beat well.

Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.  Add the flour mixture gradually to the butter mixture.  Beat until well blended.  Stir in the mini chocolate chips.  

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll the balls in the sanding sugar.  Place the balls on the parchment lined baking sheets.

Bake the sheet for 10 to 11 minutes or until set.  Remove from the oven and gently press the candy cane mint kiss in the center of each cookie.  Remove the cookies from the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.  



We really enjoyed these cookies.  They had a soft and chewy texture....and it was really difficult to just eat one....

Hope you enjoy the Cookie Carnival!



Comments

  1. What a Wonderful and Festive Cookie~ Happy Holidays~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how festive these look with the peppermint kiss on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look great, pinned for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and peppermint - one of my favorite flavor combinations! YUM! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the sugar adds some sparkle! Great idea. I should have done those with mine too. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! Love the addition of "sparkle", too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies look delicious! And there can never be too much peppermint. Have to try this, thanks for the recipe. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using kisses in my cookies. Peppermint and chocolate is so classic and perfect for Christmas cookies

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about waiting for rain. I live in California! These cookies look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous looking cookies - perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peppermint to me is a big part of my Christmas past. These are lovely cookies Kate and perfect for holiday treats.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sled! The cookies are lovely too. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those peppermint kisses are so ADORABLE!! I need to get some - your little sleigh is perfect. :) Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy, Kathy. I love the combination of peppermint and chocolate. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwwwwww, I used to belong to the Secret Recipe Club. I just got too busy. Yes, these cookies are adorable and so festive. Peppermint and chocolate are my fave combination. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts