Slow-Roasted Hot Tri Tip....Sandwiches!

One of my very favorite meals when I was growing up was a hot roast beef sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes. That's not to say that I didn't like the Sunday roast that usually preceded the leftover roast beef sandwich but there was something about knowing that there was a hot roast beef sandwich waiting for me that always had me looking forward to the next day's dinner!  Maybe it is the very best in comfort food for kids....hmmm, not just kids....whatever the appeal, I knew I needed one!

To get to leftovers meant that I had to make a darn good roast that was falling apart and just right for sandwiches.  For the last three or four years I have been making a roast that Mr. T. kept telling me to post....and I would have if it had lasted long enough to get a good picture.  The difference in the preparation of this roast from others was Beef Consomme.  It is so rich and flavorful...

So, when it turns cold and Mr. T. doesn't really want to stand outside and barbecue and that is usually what we do with a tri tip....my mind travels to Slow-Roasted Tri Tip Sandwiches aka Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches!


Hot Slow-Roasted Tri Tip Sandwiches
Kate's Slow Roasted Tri Tip

Preheat oven to 300° F.

1 tri tip roast, cut into large chunks, about 2-2.5 pounds
Salt and pepper
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 large cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
2 cans of Beef Consomme (10.5 oz. cans)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1-2 cups of water

Gravy
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
3 Tablespoons flour
Additional water for gravy....(I add some of the water that the potatoes cooked in...)

In a large dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil.  Season the tri tip generously with salt and pepper. Brown the meat, remove from the pan and set aside.  Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, if needed.  Brown the onions for about 3 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook another minute. Return the tri tip chunks to the pan.

Pour in the beef consomme, 1 cup water, bay leaves and thyme. Stir and cover.  Place the pan in the preheated oven.  Check on the meat occasionally to make certain that there is liquid.  Add the additional cup of water if needed.  The meat is done when it is fork tender and pulls apart easily, usually about 2-3 hours. Remove from the oven.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pot.  I like to also remove the onions and garlic as I don't want chunks in the gravy...it is a matter of choice!

Place the pan on the stove and bring the liquid to a simmer.  If you need additional water, add some of the potato water.  Mix the butter and flour into a paste and pour into the liquid and whisk to blend. If the gravy is too thick add a little more water.  If the gravy is too thin, mix an additional tablespoon of flour with another tablespoon of soft butter and whisk in.

Serve the meat on a platter or return the meat to the gravy and serve.  Mashed potatoes are a must!!

Leftover Slow-Roasted Hot Tri Tip Sandwiches

We like our sandwiches to be open-faced.   Just pull apart some of the beef, put it on whatever bread is handy and add gravy.  Simple as that...  That's not to say that some artisan sourdough bread wouldn't be dandy but sometimes, with leftovers, we just go with whatever is available in the bread drawer.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


The very best in comfort food....

I am sharing today at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. This was my husband's favorite thing to order in his local diner when he was growing up. Can't wait to surprise him with this recipe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big time Yum. My mom made pot roast every Sunday and I loved the sandwiches that followed. And before I knew that Tri-tips were famous for the Santa Maria, I was picking them up at Costco and and slow roasting them. Seeing your sandwiches, I have two in the freezer that need to make an appearance sooner than later. Thanks for the reminder of a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting tri-tip but it's not usually available here unless we go to Knoxville, but your great looking comfort-food meal makes me want to head out right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big, This is a killer! It is also great for French dips! I have made this in a dutch oven while camping...Oh my

      Delete
  4. Kate, you are right about the hot roast beef sandwich, everything's better with gravy. :-) I've heard a lot about tri-tip beef, but unfortunately, it's not available here. Thanks for the good recipe, bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts