Grilled Tomatillo Guacamole

Olé!  I found a really tasty guacamole!


I don't usually mess with new guacamole recipes.  Mr. T makes a great one that just doesn't get changed...why mess with greatness? Some things should remain the same....until.....I saw this recipe...

I really enjoy a good green sauce and tomatillos are the key to that....so, when I saw that tomatillos were included in this guacamole, I just had to try it.  It wasn't just the tomatillos....there was grilled white corn included in the recipe.....such sweetness.

Delicious....double delicious.  That is all I have to say.

 Tomatillo Guacamole
adapted from Rick Bayless

2 ears fresh white corn, shucked
1 poblano chile
4 large tomatillos, husk removed
3 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp finely chopped red onion, rinsed
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp salt

Grill the corn, chile and tomatillos until charred on all sides.  Place the chile and the tomatillos in a bowl and cover will plastic wrap.   Set the bowl aside for 5-10 minutes.

When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.  Remove the skins from the chile and the tomatillos.  Cut the chile in half.  Seed it and dice. Dice the tomatillos being certain to capture the juices.   Add the diced chile and tomatillo, with juices, to the bowl.  Add the chopped red onion, cilantro, and salt to the bowl.

Slightly mash the avocados and add to the mixture.  Mix until combined.  Serve with tortilla chips.

¡Muy delicioso!

It would go great with these Chile-Braised Pork Shoulder Tacos or this Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Avocado-Peach Salsa.

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Comments

  1. Funny, my husband makes a great guacamole and I would be hesitant to mess with success. But adding tomatilos & corn sound like a great twist to a classic.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a bowl of this delicious guacamole I bet I could polish off a whole bag of tortilla chips. I love the addition of the tomatillos. Great game day food, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, just stopped by to let you know you've been featured today over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love guacamole, this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful, I love tomatillos but have never put them in guacamole, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this version. Sounds very tasty. I learned to "mess" with guac when I saw Rick Bayless speak a few years ago. He uses seasonal ingredients to come up with some creative combos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate,
    The addition of the flavorful tomatillo to the guacamole is great, I can't wait to try this idea. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts