Minestrone Soup


The very first soup that I made from scratch was Minestrone.  It was unusually cold and foggy, the wood stove was radiating a wonderful warmth and I was in the kitchen paging through a cookbook that my sister-in-law had given me.  I was looking for something that would warm us up!  When I saw the Minestrone soup recipe I decided that it looked like something I could make....it was a hardy soup and would be perfect.

Well, I made the soup and, for just learning to cook, it wasn't bad, but, I knew that if I made it again something had to be done with the broth...it just didn't have the flavor that the soup had at the nearby Italian restaurant.   I laugh at that thought...like it would have that flavor!

That is when I began doctoring the recipe and came up with one that we have enjoyed over the years and is the soup most requested by my girls.

The vegetables vary based upon what's in the refrigerator.  I didn't have any spinach this time so I used Swiss Chard.  I think the great flavor is really in the meat preparation.

Minestrone Soup

1 pound stew meat (I had a top sirloin steak in the freezer so that is what I used.)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can beef stock  or beef consomme
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 - 3/4 cup red wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme ground or 2 tsp fresh
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
Pepper to taste

2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1/4 head finely sliced cabbage
Fresh or frozen spinach, amount to your liking
1 zucchini, if available, cut into large chunks
1 can kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup small pasta
Parmesan cheese, shredded, for topping

Cut the meat into small pieces.  Dredge it in a mixture of flour, garlic salt and marjoram. Cook  it in a stock  pot with a little olive oil.  Allow the meat to cook undisturbed until browned.  Stir to brown  evenly.

Add the onion and garlic to the pot and allow them to soften.  Add the next eleven ingredients.  Allow to simmer while you prep the vegetables.  Add the carrots, potato and cabbage first as they require longer to cook.  Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes then add the zucchini (if using), kidney beans and pasta.  Continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked.  Add one cup water to the pot if a thinner consistency is desired.

Top each serving with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Perfect on a cold and blustery day!

I am sharing at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.



Comments

  1. Now that is a meal in a bowl! Great for our cold weather up here; great photo.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see minestrone I think I need to make that some time but haven't yet - yours may inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love minestrone and your bread looks great:) Hope you had happy holidays~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good, it's quite cold and blustery here! I haven't made minestrone since last winter, think I'll put it on the list-thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be warm and delicious this weekend. Thanks for including the recipe at Foodie Friday. Hope you have a fab 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade minestrone soup. It's so guilty-free, yet comforting. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic! My kind of soup, perfect for a rainy chilly day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Se ve irresistible me encanta luce muy rico..Feliz Año Nuevo…abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the addition of beef in your minestrone - so hearty and delicious! I had a hard time keeping my eyes off of that bread, though :)

    Happy New Year, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty soup and would be perfect for our cool weather that has come to visit from the north.

    Wishing you and your family a happy & healthy new year.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never added beef to my minestrone soup...yours sounds delicious. I can see a pot in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes with Full Plate Thursday in 2012. Wishing you and your family the very best in 2013.
    Happy New Year!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Minestrone is one of my fabulous memory form my italian life.
    This one seems yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Kate this is a wonderful version of minestrone! I love the way you've added the steak/stew meat. I've had so many minestrones that were quite bland, but your's sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year to you and your family, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a perfect soup for cold days! It's a great way to use leftover veggies too! Bet stew meat and beef stoke make it even more scrumptious! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts