The Best Apple Cake

I thought I had found the best recipe for apple cake.  I was wrong!  I found it this year.  I had volunteered to make the dessert and the appetizer when our gourmet group met this month.  As I reviewed the recipe I had been sent I noticed that there was actually very little difference between my old recipe and this one.  But, this one had coconut I do love coconut so I was eager to try it.

I did hate the thought of using the bundt pan after the last adventure but I read through all of your comments and recommendations and decided that I would generously prepare the pan!  It seemed to  work, the cake came out of the pan without a problem!

I also opted to use the glaze from previous recipe instead of the one that Paula used.  Many of the reviews said the cake was too sweet.  I knew that my glaze wasn't going to over-power everything and it saved me a trip to the store for buttermilk!


Fresh Apple Cake
adapted from Paula Deen's "Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia"

Preheat oven to 325°

Cake
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups peeled and finely chopped apples
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Glaze
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

Cake
In a large bowl combine the sugar, eggs, oil, orange juice, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla extract and mix well.  Fold in the apples, coconut,  and pecans.

Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.

Glaze
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in both sugars and salt, cook over medium-low heat for two minutes. Add cream and boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour about 2/3 over the cake while hot. Cool. Invert. Drizzle remaining glaze over the top.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


With one bite this cake moved to the top of my list!

I am sorry that I have been a bit on the slow side with cooking and posts lately...unfortunately, I have what is called a frozen shoulder...along with a torn tendon and a tear in the rotator cuff.  Life has been a bit painful!

I am linking up to Fusion Fridays and Foodie Friday today!

Comments

  1. The cake looks like it would be wonderful with coffee! Sorry to hear about your shoulder Kate, I know that can be very painful-take care of yourself! Happy Halloween:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunt cake pan that I suspect is very similar to yours and I HATE it because it's nearly impossible to butter and flour the darn thing sufficiently! But your's came out gorgeous and I'm so fascinated by the addition of coconut...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OM goodness...I have been looking for the perfect apple cake...Hope you don't mind, I pinned this on my pinterest!
    Looks delicious...
    Hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! on your shoulder problems! Take care of yourself....

    Interesting to put coconut in your apple cake. It turned out perfectly and beautifully moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous and delicious! Love anything with apples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this for a party tomorrow. In response to your reader who has a problem with sticking, I always use Baker's Secret Spray with great success. What a glorious cake for any Fall occasion. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love coconut here. Sounds like it would be so good in this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful and looks so moist and delicious - love apple cake and you have taken it to the next level!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thought id say hello while passing your blog by, and i hope you folks have a very nice weekend. We are maybe a little past fall peek colors for taking pictures of our tree's here in central Pennsylvania, but ill try anyway to go out one last time to snap some images. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch, sorry to read about your shoulder, Kate. Hope it heals quickly. I've never tried this recipe but generally love most of what Paula prepares. I can think of all sorts of uses for that yummy glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this looks amazing! So full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm! Looks moist and delicious. A lovely treat for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. can't wait to try this one. i've been trying out different apple cakes. about to post one myself. really enjoy your blog. Cheers to Central Cal. I grew up in Monterey. Now in Portland, OR. Can't wait to see what you're cookin' up next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts