Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup



I had an adventure last week.  I went to Saigon Village to the market.  I had been there before but just to tour, this time I had a list.  I was going to prepare Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup from Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook, Around My French Table.  Wondering the aisles at the Saigon Market was interesting.  I found items that I didn't know existed...I found items that I had heard of but never seen in a grocery store, and I found everything that I needed.  Well, I think I got the right items.  Sometimes there wasn't much English on the labels! 

One does not need to go to an Asian Market in order to prepare the soup.  I did because I had the time and it gave me a reason to explore!

I was so excited when the book arrive.  From the moment I opened the book I was in love.  I must admit that I can be intimidated by some French recipes.  I don't find that to be the case with these. 

Preparing the soup was easy.  The directions are clear...I am really big on clear and direct steps! I especially liked that there were directions on preparing the Chinese noodles.  (I know it should be intuitive...but....)  Dorie included information that was not to be found anywhere on the packaging. 

The directions in the cookbook did not tell the cook when to remove the cheesecloth bundle of herbs.  I chose to remove it before adding the chicken and the noodles.  The soup was delicious!  I love the flavors and on occassion I got a little piece of ginger that was like a special treat!  The family loved the soup and I know that I will be preparing it for dinner again.


I was exploring websites and learned that there is a group of cooks who are cooking their way through Around My French Table.  This sounded like fun so I am going to participate when I can and am linking to French Fridays with Dorie


If you are interested in cooking along, pick up a copy of Dorie's cookbook and join in!


 Ummm, Ummm, Good!


I am also participating in Foodie Friday.  If you get a chance, visit Michael at Designs by Gollum to see what wonderful dishes are being prepared.  Thank you, Michael, for hosting this weekly event.



Comments

  1. I just got my copy of Around my French Table yesterday. I am anxious to get started. It is hard to post about food without posting the recipe though. Your soup looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will one day need that book! Thank you..A different twist on Chicken soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks delicious! I love all the flavors in Thai cooking. There is a fantastic Asian market close by where I know I can find all kinds of exotic ingredients. It's fun to browse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for my copy to arrive from the library! If I like it I am going to buy it. Somehow, I think I'm going to love it :)

    This sounds like a delightful soup. Creamy and spicy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious-looking soup! I love Asian cuisine and the lovely flavors... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts