Just One More Mac and Cheese!

Nothing says comfort better than Macaroni and Cheese.  I have always loved it and the leftovers that follow that dinner!  It was the first casserole that I learned to make.  My mom worked on the switchboard at a local hospital and since it was the 4:00 PM to Midnight shift, so, at sixteen I had to do the cooking for my dad and brother.  They were so brave and my dad never complained. 

Mac and Cheese was a dish that I couldn't really mess up.  As times have changed, so has Mac and Cheese.  I think we have all tinkered with the recipe in search of one that is just a little bit better than the last.  What I have learned is that I do not really care for Mac and Cheese that is really firm and can sometimes be cut into blocks.  I like one in between loose and firm...it is a quest...

I love the recipe from Toni Tipton-Martin's cookbook, Jubilee.  The recipe is similar to my mom's in that there is evaporate milk and eggs but it ends there!  The first time I was served Mac and Cheese from Jubilee, the recipe was followed exactly.  I have since made one or two changes.  I reduced the number of eggs to make it less firm.  The smoked spicy paprika sprinkled on before popping it into the oven is heavenly.  I enjoy a little touch of heat!  

I have settled here for the moment.  No more searching.  This is wonderful comfort food! 

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Adapted from Jubilee by Toni Tipton-Martin


Yield: 10 servings

1 1-pound bag pasta shells or elbow
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Jack cheese
1 1/2 cup diced ham
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt, additional to taste
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
Spicy Smoked Paprika

Preheat:  350˚ F.
Grease a 13 X 9 baking dish with a pat of softened butter.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook until al dente.  Drain.  

In a large bowl, combine the Cheddar and Jack cheeses.  Set aside 1 1/2 cups for the top.  Layer the pasta, ham and remaining cheese in the baking dish.  Begin and end with pasta.

In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp salt, (or to taste) white pepper, and cayenne.  Pour the sauce over the macaroni and cheese.  Top with the reserved cheese and generously sprinkle with paprika.

Bake the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet to catch possible spill-over.  Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the top is brown and crusty, 30-45 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to stand 10 minutes before serving.


This Mac and Cheese was a hit at our house.  We added leftover ham to the recipe but it can certainly be made without.  

PRINTABLE RECIPE




Comments

  1. Looks and sounds delicious and I like the smoky paprika on top.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts