Just a Basic Peach Cobbler!

What is a basic peach cobbler?  For me it is one that is easy and the peaches and their syrup are spread on top of the batter.  It is the way that I have made cobbler for quite a few years.  It is not like my mom's.  It is not like my mother-in-law's.  Both of those ladies had the corner on the market for making cobblers.  But, I did what I usually do...make the batter and spread the fruit on top.

That said, this time, Terry said that he didn't like cobbler prepared that way.  Hmmmm....it only took forty years for him to tell me. He likes a more crisp top...okay....next time.  He must have been thinking about his mom's delicious cobblers.....so very yummy!  The crust had a crispness on the top but underneath it was gooey and wonderful.  I liked her cobbler too.  (She didn't use a recipe....do I know what she did?  Nope, not the slightest idea.)


Just a Basic Peach Cobbler

Yield:  8 Servings
Preheat oven:  375° F.

5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 cup half and half
4 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

Place butter in a baking dish (9 X 13 inches) and melt in the oven.

While the butter is melting, whisk the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium  bowl.  While continuing to whisk, gradually add the half and half.  Whisk until smooth.  Set aside.

In a separate bowl, toss the peaches with the brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until combined.  Set aside.

Remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the batter over the batter.  Do not stir.

Pour the peach mixture over the batter and gently spread with a spatula.

Bake 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.  Top with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

PRINTABLE RECIPE



This recipe is a little bit different from my go-to recipe.  I have no idea where the recipe came from.  It was one that I had tucked away in a cookbook.

From my perspective, enjoying peach cobbler is one of the finer moments to be had during the summer!




Comments

  1. Kate, No cobbler is too basic or too wonderful! Love peach cobbler and yours looks great... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband has made it known which recipes of his mother's that he prefers. :)
    i love a peach cobbler in any way, shape, or form! great way to cap off the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peach cobbler is my hands down favorite. So soulful and comforting! Love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts