Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Becomes Cupcakes!


If you are a fan of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream you know that taking the two best ingredients, cookies and cream, and using them to create a cupcake is going to be fabulous.  With the first taste, I was ready to sing from the highest mountain...so that "WOW!" would echo across the valley.  I kid you not, these were wonderful!

When I first saw the recipe at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen, I knew that I was going to be making them. If you have never visited Brenda's blog, it is a must.  She is a wonderful cook and always has something exciting to share.

I did have to adapt the recipe just a bit I used half and half instead of milk.  I was fresh out of milk and it somehow didn't get on my shopping list....


Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
adapted from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

Yield: 24 cupcakes

24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup half and half
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (I used the remaining cookie half.)
For garnish:
Oreo cookie crumbs (Made with the remaining four cookie halves.)
24 Mini Oreo cookies
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. 


Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up. 



In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. 



With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the half and half and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the coarsely chopped Oreos until evenly incorporated, be careful not to over-mix.

Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 T half and half  (Use additional to get the right consistency to pipe the frosting, about 3-4 total.)
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add half and half and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
Makes about 3 cups of frosting.
Source:  adapted from Wilton
Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with mini Oreos.



These are wonderful cupcakes....very rich.  I kept four cupcakes and sent twenty with the Kitchen Gnome to an evening activity.  


It would be way too dangerous to keep them all at home!  It is much better to share with others!

I am participating in Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum, Fat Camp Friday hosted by Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney, and Sweet Tooth Friday hosted by Allison.  

Comments

  1. Looks amazing! Hopefully I'll get to try one next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love cookies and cream ice cream and these look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, thanks for the shout-out! We're still talking about these cupcakes, lol! I'm so glad you enjoyed them as much as we did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this will be a quick reply since now I have to run up to the store to get oreos! These look so cute, but that split open pic got me. Oh my goodness they look so full of flavor and moist! I definitely have to try these! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, let me bathe in this! This looks so fabulous. I am going to have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, WOW! I have a daughter who would flip for this dessert!

    Such a nice place you have here! I have perused several of your posts and enjoyed each one!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look incredible. Excellent photos and a delicious recipe. Now it is on my to-do list!
    Linda @ Lemon Drop

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! They look so moist and sweet.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/24/chocolate-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these on Brenda's Kitchen and they do sound like a special treat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookies 'n cream is my favorite ice cream. My daughter made these for our family once. I think we need to make them again soon! Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! They look gorgeous! I've been trying to find the perfect cupcake recipe for my daughter's birthday party on April 9. Glad I found this! I already bookmarked the page. :) Again tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks heavenly...! I love everything Cookies and Cream;)!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a naughty cupcake. I want to make them but I don't want to know how many calories, they have. You made them real beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly decadent and wonderful stuff! Wow! xoA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these cupcakes look fabulous. I can't believe I didn't smell them from next door. You are an amazing cook!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful cupcakes! Everything you make looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are too much fun! We have cookies and cream ice cream in the fridge right now. My kids would love these cupcakes! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous...I have a kid who would adore these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Brenda's blog too! Thank you for linking these beauties up to Fat Camp Friday. You will be the featured blog tomorrow with this recipe! Stop by and grab a button if you'd like, or just come on by to say hi!
    http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/p/button-codes.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts