Cracker Bread Bites


Have you ever had a grand plan and just plan forgot to do it?  Doesn't sound too grand if one can forget it though.  My sister-in-law's birthday is just before Christmas so I decided to have the family over for a birthday dinner celebration.  Since I was also cooking on Christmas I knew I had to make myself keep it simple!  My plan was to have an elegant appetizer and a main course that was fairly easy and could be made ahead.  I succeeded with everything except that I forgot to make the elegant appetizer!  There was plenty of food and it didn't even dawn on me that we didn't have an appetizer until we were just about to sit down to dinner.  So much for grand plans!

That left me with the ingredients for a special appetizer and in need of a reason to make it...

When my friend gave me the recipe I raised an eyebrow at the numerous layers and ingredients but my friend assured me that this appetizer had been a hit at every gathering...who was I to question it....just go for it!  These little morsels are delicious and were consumed (inhaled) by the group.  One bite is just not enough.


Cracker Bread Bites

Lavash Cracker Bread
Pesto
Prosciutto
Gorgonzola Cheese
Blueberry/Merlot jam
Arugula

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Cut the cracker bread into rectangles (1 inch X 3 inches).
Place the pieces on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, or until crisp.  (Watch carefully so as not to burn.)  The crackers when cool, can be placed in a ziplock bag until ready to use.

Spread a little pesto on the cracker.
Top with a roll of prosciutto.  (I quartered the slice of prosciutto and rolled it.)
Add a small piece of Gorgonzola, drop/spread some of the jam, top with arugula leaves.

Place on a platter and serve!

Note:  The original recipe suggested fig jam.  I will be trying these with fig jam but I could not find any at the time and our Italian Deli was closed so I couldn't check there.  I am anxious to make these again!

PRINTABLE RECIPE


These were simple, easy and elegant!  A real hit and perfect for the New Year!

I am participating in Sharing Sundays at Everyday Sisters!  Today is their sweet and savory share day!

Comments

  1. Looks delicious and perfect for New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I can imagine that the mix of flavors blended perfectly when they hit your mouth at once. I bet you'll be making these again! And such a pretty mix of colors to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course they would be great..Prosciutto!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....I like these! Such a pretty presentation and so simple to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, I have a weakness for this kind of food. I have lavosh and fig jam in the cupboard so I'm set. This is a wonderful New Year's Eve appy. Great photos too, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound incredibly delicious with all those complementing layers of flavor! I instantly fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. clapping out loud for this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a perfect combination of flavors in that perfect little bite! Great images!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Layers and layers of deliciousness! These look terrific. I love the nice color the jam adds. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love jam with ham! Ever since I was a kid with liver sausage and raspberry jam... when I saw them I went MMM... great little recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these look sooooo delicious! Thank you for linking up to Sharing Sundays.

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts